Yesterday, David Clarke of Wonga came and talked to us about how they plan the work that they take on in engineering. Regularly, across a unit of 150 people, in a company of 600.
David Clarke, Head of Tech Delivery.
Planning @ Wonga
Every six weeks all our Scrum teams (approx. 8), together with Tech Ops and Commercial guys go off site to plan. We have done this at Wonga for a long time. The evolution to what and how we do it reflects Wonga’s evolution as an organisation from early start up days to being a formally regulated body. To people coming along for the first time it can seem like organised chaos.
- Why we do it (and what happens when we don’t)
- Who is involved (and what happens when they are not)
- How we prepare for planning
- How we do it (and lots of ways we don’t do it anymore, epic failures included)
- What metrics we collect
- Biscuit awards (and other ways to keep it fun)
The talk will be based on real planning event artefacts, data and plenty of photos from the events.